Makkah Mass Rail transit Company (MMRTC) – Bus Network Development
Phillip Boyle & Associates is working with MMRTC to develop a comprehensive bus network for the Holy City of Makkah. The network, to eventually comprise 800 buses, will initially operate across twelve BRT and local services.
Operation of public transport in Makkah presents a number of unique challenges.
- General congestion
- Road network difficulties
- Extreme operating conditions during the Haaj
- Changing peaks related to daily prayer time variations
- Major impacts of different times of year, such as the Ramadan period
These challenges are amplified when attempting to introduce an entirely new network.
The initial tasks completed by Phillip Boyle & Associates included:
- Advice regarding network development
- Development of estimated running times
- Creation of draft timetables
- Creation of initial scheduling solutions
- Production of detailed operating information for RFP inclusion
- General contracting advice and review/writing of RFP sections
Beyond the initial RFP stage Phillip Boyle & Associates support MMRTC to work with the successful bidder across a range of implementation tasks. We will also assist MMRTC to establish strong in-house operational planning capabilities.