Public Transport Victoria – Invicta Intermodal Coordination Project
Phillip Boyle & Associates undertook an extensive service revision project to support PTV’s aims of improved timetable quality and enhanced intermodal connectivity.The Invicta bus network covers much of Melbourne’s outer eastern suburbs and operates over four million annual bus kilometers across a network of 22 bus routes, supplemented by numerous school special services. Of significant interest to this project was the inclusion of the well-known Telebus demand-response services.
Project tasks included:
- A complete systemwide ridecheck, utilizing PBA’s sophisticated iPad data collection tools
- Revised running times using the HASTUS ATP running time optimization module
- Network revisions
- Revised integrated timetables developed using the advanced HASTUS NetPlan module
- Vehicle blocking and crew scheduling
- Operational and costing advice
- Extensive implementation support inclusive of stop timetable development, data exports, project management
PBA’s revised operating plan provided a 25 percent increase in effective bus/train connections through optimized timetabling.
In the first twelve months ridership increased by over 15 percent. This was achieved with less than four percent additional service kilometers. Furthermore the number of passengers connected increased significantly, in some cases by over 20 percent.