Operating Bids Tendering and Contracting
MMRTC BRT Contract and RFP Support
Client: Makkah Mass Rail Transit Company
Phillip Boyle & Associates is working with Makkah Mass Rail Transit Company (MMRTC) to develop a comprehensive greenfield urban bus network for Makkah in Saudi Arabia and support the government to plan and manage a Request for Proposal process for the operations contractor. The network will initially operate twelve BRT and local services across the city, linking to the new metro system, and will eventually comprise 800 buses.
To support the contracting process, we have delivered a full set of draft timetables, vehicle blocks and driver shifts for all routes as part of the Phase 1 network. We are supporting MMRTC through the shortlisting and evaluation process.
Scope of Works
Phillip Boyle & Associates’ tasks have included:
- Preparing detailed operating information for inclusion in the RFP
- Providing general contracting advice and reviewing and writing RFP documentation
- Assisting with RFP evaluation.
We will also be on the RFP evaluation panel and will work with MMRTC to assist the successful bidder in a range of implementation tasks and to establish strong in-house operational planning capabilities.
Operation of public transport in Makkah presents a number of unique challenges:
- General congestion
- Road network difficulties
- Extreme operating conditions during the annual Hajj
- Changing daily peaks related to prayer-time variations
- Impacts of religious observances during different times of the year, such as Ramadan.
These factors have impacted significantly on network design and timetabling and scheduling solutions and will need to be carefully considered by the successful bidder.