Operations Planning and Resource Optimisation
Werribee Plaza Operational Assessment
Client: Pacific Shopping Centres Australia
Phillip Boyle & Associates provided expertise to support Pacific Shopping Centres to assess the operational and costing impacts of relocating and redeveloping the bus interchange at Werribee Plaza, as part of the first stage of its redevelopment as a major retail and lifestyle centre in Melbourne’s west. In addition to preparing a detailed report, Phillip Boyle was called as an expert witness for the client at a Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) planning hearing.
Phillip Boyle’s evidence about the location of the bus interchange and implications on cost presented at the VCAT hearing was found to be robust and reasonable. VCAT found in the favour of the shopping centre. The new interchange was successfully opened in April 2014.
Scope of Works
Phillip Boyle & Associates’ tasks included:
- Providing a detailed analysis of existing and estimated run times for all routes and directions
- Considering proposed traffic engineering changes and the impact on bus travel times
- Analysing existing patronage and running times
- Estimating operating cost changes and passenger impacts
- Preparing a detailed report
- Appearing as an expert witness for the client.
The main challenge was estimating the travel times for an unbuilt bus interchange. This required a detailed understanding of the existing and proposed route paths. In addition, Phillip Boyle, in his role as expert witness, was required to provide thorough and accurate evidence under cross-examination.